Understanding the Points Added to Your Record
Explanation from the Atlanta Traffic Ticket Attorney
The Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) has the authority to
suspend your driver's license if you accumulate 15 points within 24 months under the state's point
system. This includes offenses that occur in Georgia and out of state.
This is one of many reasons it is so important to work with an Atlanta
traffic ticket lawyer to challenge any citation you receive for a traffic
offense. With the proper knowledge and understanding of the specific procedure
involved with challenging a ticket, a competent attorney can work to help
you keep points off your record.
The points that may be assessed will vary depending on the particular offense
allegedly committed. The specific points that may be assessed are listed below:
- 15 mph to less than 19 mph above the speed limit - 2 points
- 19 mph to less than 24 mph - 3 points
- 24 mph to less than 34 mph - 4 points
- 34 mph or more above the speed limit - 6 points
Unlawful passing of a school bus - 6 points
- Aggressive driving - 6 points
Reckless driving - 4 points
- Improper passing on a hill or curve - 4 points
- Failure to obey a traffic signal or traffic officer - 3 points
- Possession of an open alcoholic beverage while driving - 2 points
- All other moving violations - 2 points
- Failure to adequately secure a load - 2 points
- Child restraint violation (second or subsequent offense) - 2 points
- Child restraint violation (first offense) - 1 point
HOV lane violation (4th and subsequent offense) - 1 point
If you are facing points on your driving record due to any type of traffic
ticket or violation, we can help. Retaining the services of a skilled
lawyer is an important step to take if you are interested in maintaining
your driving privileges.
Contact Atlanta Traffic Ticket Lawyer Matthew T. McNally today for a confidential review of your traffic case.